I'm trying out a few new features on my original "potence" style lamps. I've made a few with these upgrades and put some up on my etsy store. The socket is now porcelain and covered with a painted steel cap, instead of the exposed phenolic ones. I made some multifaceted handles that I think look pretty good against the smooth curves of the lamp. The socket itself is rated up to 660W which is wired with a heavier gauge cord to support brighter bulbs if desired. The lamps reach out 62" from the wall, which sit about in the middle of a 10'x10' room. These are just a few inches shorter than the original ones but it saves $25 on shipping. I think that's a pretty good compromise. I've also got one I made in a natural 'raw' steel finish that I should be putting up as soon as I have pictures of it.